Friday, August 28, 2009

Moving On



We headed west this morning to a beautiful little town called Salida, on arrival I was pleasantly informed that I will be sharing my host family with Emma.
We had one hour to unpack and get ready for our vocation day, I was excited to be in Salida as I was very interested in a shop called “THE MIXING BOWL”. Katy & Bob Grether (owners) have a young daughter with a disability; they opened this wonderful shop that sells kitchen ware so their daughter could have employment, this has been so successful that they now have a partnership with Starpoint and employ 12 people with a disability, of course I could not leave the shop without purchasing something and walked out with a great gift for my employees back home.
Starpoint also has a lot of history, I meet with Bill Davis, he has worked at Starpoint for twenty five years. Starpoint used to have a workshop but in 1988 closed this section down and started to integrate the consumers into the community, the community has been of great support. Everybody that I meet today had such a positive approach it was quiet refreshing.
For lunch my new host family treated me to a lunch at the Boat House this is right on the Arkansas River, it is a popular spot, when the river is high enough you can watch water rafting and kayaks whilst having a beer or two.
Tonight the team will be assisting the Salida Rotary club with their annual fundraiser. I am hoping it will not be all work and no play.

No comments:

Post a Comment