Monday, August 17, 2009

Americans love to fiddle (minds out of the gutter - play the fiddle, guitar, double bass)

Mandy : Wow what a terrific day I have had. Our first day of vocational visits started today. Emma and I started the day having breakfast with our WONDERFUL host Debi. We then went our separate ways and I visited the District Attorney’s office - Dan May. I spent time with their criminal investigators and sat in on a raid briefing for a fraud matter before they executed the warrants to search the office area. I then was fortunate enough to spend some time in the DEA office also and set the different phone taps and surveillance that was taking place. I got some time to find out about the liaisons the DEA has with other agencies and how their intelligence and investigations generally work.

Unfortunately my morning vocation visit ended so soon and I was taken by the District Attorney to our first presentation to the East Colorado Rotary Club. I think it went well – we got some good feedback (apparently I make some of them think that I am from Texas!! – I am not sure why that is.) I was fortunate enough to spend time at this meeting speaking with the recipient

My afternoon vocational visit was to the El Paso Country Sheriffs Office. I spent most of my time with an Inspector who showed me software that he has designed to present evidence to court for major cases, he also when through missing persons and cold cases with me. His demonstration of what he pulls together for the cases is fantastic – very lateral thinking – simply to follow and flows really well. I was able to follow through a double murder and suicide and also parts of the Columbine shootings. The Inspector who was with me demonstrates this process and use of software across USA and Canada and has also presented this to the World Women’s Policing conference.

After vocational visits Emma, Debi and I visited Patsy's, which is a sweets store est. in 1903. We then went to Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory (do you sense a theme here!!!) Emma purchased a chocolate coated Jalapeno (I will definitely get pictures of her eating that). We then went and got ourselves some great looking hats (for dinner tonight), and went to a Museum of sculptures of ‘American Spirit’ great pieces of art by Michael GARMEN.

Tonight we have been to the Flying Wagon – how do I explain this. Hmmm well it has Wagons, Tee Pees, Indians, lots of old things to look at. We then here the bell and go in for some traditional Cowboy dinner. We started with BEANS, then beef, hot potatoes, apple sauce, biscuits (like damper/ scones) and a cake – I didn’t eat that so I can’t tell you what it was like but the rest of it was really good. We then had some live entertainment by some cowboys/ ranches (lots of guitars, fiddles, double base and thing something like a banjo. So we say good night again and hope for a great day tomorrow. Thanks to EVERYONE who spent time will me today it was much appreciated and I had a great time and learnt some new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment